The Reunited Alliance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Reunited Alliance

Allies, friends, and clansmen, a hundred thousand welcomes to the forum of the Reunited Alliance of the Loyalist States of Beta!

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Capital Punishment

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
I smell of horse arse
Tacksman
I smell of horse arse

Female
Number of posts : 78
Name : Unknown
Registration date : 2009-02-03

Capital Punishment Empty
PostSubject: Capital Punishment   Capital Punishment EmptyMon Feb 16, 2009 3:22 pm

What are your opinions on capital punishment?
Back to top Go down
Delphi
Tacksman
Delphi

Male
Number of posts : 86
Job/hobbies : Bite me
Name : Bite me
Registration date : 2009-02-07

Character sheet
Gallowglass:

Capital Punishment Empty
PostSubject: Re: Capital Punishment   Capital Punishment EmptyMon Feb 16, 2009 8:14 pm

I really have no opinion due to the fact that I probably would get flamed if I said yes. Capital Punishment really is a blessing, as most people say life is hell enough. Wink
Back to top Go down
Gallowglass
Ard Ri
Gallowglass

Male
Number of posts : 139
Job/hobbies : Writer, historian, and paintballer
Name : Seamus MacFearchar Caimbeul

Character sheet
Gallowglass: Hello!

Capital Punishment Empty
PostSubject: Re: Capital Punishment   Capital Punishment EmptyTue Feb 17, 2009 11:50 am

iSlut, I make the heated debates here, okay? Wink

It depends on the crime whether or not there should be capital punishment, obviously, and it should not only be the choice of the judge whether a criminal is actually executed. The victim should have a say in it, if they are able to. Also, I'd like to see the return of some Gaelic law, where all offences were civil rather than criminal and the victim and their family had a lot of influence and had the right to be paid compensation from the criminal and his family. They could also appeal to their local tacksman, or MP, or even the government to change the sentence of a criminal.
Now, for crimes such as murder, the victim's family have more of a say, and in crimes such as rape then the victim has more of a say. It is an awkward system, but it has been done before with great success.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lordshipoftheisles.webs.com
stian676
Tacksman
stian676

Male
Number of posts : 79
Job/hobbies : pc
Name : stian
Registration date : 2009-02-13

Character sheet
Gallowglass: hello my mate!

Capital Punishment Empty
PostSubject: Re: Capital Punishment   Capital Punishment EmptyTue Feb 17, 2009 11:51 am

Suspect Suspect Suspect Suspect Suspect Suspect Suspect Suspect Suspect Suspect Suspect Suspect Suspect Suspect Suspect Suspect Suspect Suspect Suspect Suspect
Back to top Go down
http://www.lol.com
Gallowglass
Ard Ri
Gallowglass

Male

Character sheet

Capital Punishment Empty
PostSubject: Re: Capital Punishment   Capital Punishment EmptyTue Feb 17, 2009 11:53 am

If you don't agree, then make an argument, dammit! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
stian676
Tacksman
stian676

Male
Number of posts : 79
Job/hobbies : pc
Name : stian
Registration date : 2009-02-13

Character sheet
Gallowglass: hello my mate!

Capital Punishment Empty
PostSubject: Re: Capital Punishment   Capital Punishment EmptyTue Feb 17, 2009 11:54 am

Gallowglass wrote:
If you don't agree, then make an argument, dammit! Very Happy

I agree, but I think the criminal's family should have a say because there may be young people and he might have a pregnant wife or something
Back to top Go down
http://www.lol.com
Robbie
Banned

Male
Number of posts : 14
Name : Guess
Registration date : 2009-02-04

Capital Punishment Empty
PostSubject: Re: Capital Punishment   Capital Punishment EmptyFri Feb 20, 2009 5:57 am

I completely agree with capital punishment. I honestly think it should be used more. If you are willing to break the law you should be willing to pay the price. If there are stiffer penalties I think people will think twice before they do something wrong.
Back to top Go down
I smell of horse arse
Tacksman
I smell of horse arse

Female

Capital Punishment Empty
PostSubject: Re: Capital Punishment   Capital Punishment EmptyFri Feb 20, 2009 6:27 am

Fanatics won't. Traffickers won't. Terrorists won't. Those are the people that actually deserve capital punishment, as they are the ones that always understand what they did and will more often than not show no remorse or have no intention to get back into society after they are sent to prison. If you execute criminals who still might be useful for society, you have wasted money and resources.
Back to top Go down
Gallowglass
Ard Ri
Gallowglass

Male

Character sheet

Capital Punishment Empty
PostSubject: Re: Capital Punishment   Capital Punishment EmptyFri Feb 20, 2009 7:07 am

I don't think that executing fanatics is a better idea than executing murderers. Murderers have little political support, and we don't want fanatics to gain their precious martyrdom which is probably the most powerful tool at their disposal. And I don't think traffickers wouldn't want to get back into society, or at least not all of them, as when you bring one down everyone knows who they are and their connections with the other criminals they rely upon are severed. Executing them is worth it, however, if only because they're traffickers.

Quote :
I agree, but I think the criminal's family should have a say because there may be young people and he might have a pregnant wife or something

Ever heard of the nine clans system? To get around the pregnant wife thing, just knock off one Wink
Back to top Go down
I smell of horse arse
Tacksman
I smell of horse arse

Female

Capital Punishment Empty
PostSubject: Re: Capital Punishment   Capital Punishment EmptyFri Feb 20, 2009 7:21 am

Knock off a pregnant wife? Or a clan?

The latter is a bit of a brutal idea (the nine clans system was when the family of an offender was also executed), and it does not avoid the problem of an innocent family member's emotions. And the child might be a valuable contribution to society, as might the wife for that matter.
Back to top Go down
Gallowglass
Ard Ri
Gallowglass

Male

Character sheet

Capital Punishment Empty
PostSubject: Re: Capital Punishment   Capital Punishment EmptyFri Feb 20, 2009 7:30 am

I think that the threat of a family member being executed is the only real deterrent to some criminals. It will make most fanatics think twice.
Back to top Go down
I smell of horse arse
Tacksman
I smell of horse arse

Female

Capital Punishment Empty
PostSubject: Re: Capital Punishment   Capital Punishment EmptyFri Feb 20, 2009 7:38 am

What about our friend, Fearchar MacSaighdear Beag? His father is in the British Army, yet he has actually demanded civil disobedience and even vandalism against the soldiers on Benbecula! He would not give a damn if someone took it further, and killed a soldier. He'd probably be the one to do it!
Back to top Go down
Gallowglass
Ard Ri
Gallowglass

Male

Character sheet

Capital Punishment Empty
PostSubject: Re: Capital Punishment   Capital Punishment EmptyFri Feb 20, 2009 7:47 am

Fearchar is an exception. Other fanatics think that he is far more fanatical than they are, which is not surprising when you remember that he has changed his entire character and personality to be more compatible with his idealogy. Also, the fact that his father is in the British Army is not something that is required to be a fanatic, is it?

Last edited by Gallowglass on Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
I smell of horse arse
Tacksman
I smell of horse arse

Female

Capital Punishment Empty
PostSubject: Re: Capital Punishment   Capital Punishment EmptyFri Feb 20, 2009 7:55 am

No, but fanatics will be able to convince themselves that people who disagree with them do not count as people and that people who do agree with them but do not join them will accept their punishment. The best example is Islamic terrorists, who have been quoted as saying that Muslims killed by them will go to Paradise.
Back to top Go down
Gallowglass
Ard Ri
Gallowglass

Male

Character sheet

Capital Punishment Empty
PostSubject: Re: Capital Punishment   Capital Punishment EmptyFri Feb 20, 2009 8:03 am

True. But Fearchar is an exception. Other fanatics may not be so willing to let family members be executed, and if they do then people who would have joined will not, and their power would be decreased. And no fanatic wants to see their influence fall, unless they are truly insane.
Back to top Go down
Delphi
Tacksman
Delphi

Male
Number of posts : 86
Job/hobbies : Bite me
Name : Bite me
Registration date : 2009-02-07

Character sheet
Gallowglass:

Capital Punishment Empty
PostSubject: Re: Capital Punishment   Capital Punishment EmptyFri Feb 20, 2009 6:23 pm

Gallowglass wrote:
True. But Fearchar is an exception. Other fanatics may not be so willing to let family members be executed, and if they do then people who would have joined will not, and their power would be decreased. And no fanatic wants to see their influence fall, unless they are truly insane.

So we can count the Laugh of the Insane Bitches in the "truly insane" section, right?
Back to top Go down
Gallowglass
Ard Ri
Gallowglass

Male

Character sheet

Capital Punishment Empty
PostSubject: Re: Capital Punishment   Capital Punishment EmptySat Feb 21, 2009 1:20 am

Nope. Fanatics aren't insane, they're usually quite logical people. The leaders especially.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Capital Punishment Empty
PostSubject: Re: Capital Punishment   Capital Punishment Empty

Back to top Go down

Capital Punishment
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Reunited Alliance :: The Resident's Committee-
Jump to: